We all know that mobile search has replaced desktop in terms of traffic acquisition. Now, voice search is adding a new variable that will change ASO in 2018.
Convenience is King
Siri, Cortana, Alexa and Google Now allow users to save time and energy by using their voices to search rather than typing. With voice recognition at an all time high, more and more people switch to voice search as a constant form of behavior every day. The shift to voice search has come about largely because people like the convenience of the medium.
All of these virtual assistants deliver mobile apps in voice search results. These can come as either web search results, app store search results or App Store categories. The challenge for developers is how to use this new search variable to their advantage in the app stores.
For example, you can see below that different phrasing of the same question can return several different results in iOS 11:
How to optimize your app for Voice Search:
- research the questions users are posing in relation to your app category (forums like Quora and Reddit are great places to discover more about your target audience and their needs)
- think about the long tail keywords user’s might use in voice search and use them in your product page
- use conversational language in your app’s description
- app localization will be even more important with user’s speaking with their local slang and languages
- pay special attention to your listings on geo-location social sites, especially Yelp, Foursquare, and Facebook.
With the recent releases of iOS 11 and Android Oreo, it’s important to stay up to date with the changes that could potentially affect your app’s ranking and success across the app stores. Sign up below to receive the latest news as well as tips and tricks right in your inbox.